Heavy Rain- (PS3)
My normal description of this is not as a game, but as an interactive thriller. Akin to those books that say "turn to page 73 if you want to open the door, otherwise, page 27." The difference, however, is that as a game this is artfully constructed, and it does a very good job of making you feel like a part of the action. It is a whodunit, and the basic premise is that a father loses his son to a car accident (not his fault), and when his other son get's kidnapped, he is put through a series of trials by the "origami killer" to try to save his son. Meanwhile, he is dealing with serious depression and feelings of inadequacy as a father. Again, it's notable for the connection you make with the characters. I remember vividly [Spoiler] one of the trials which involves cutting your pinky off. The mechanic used is one where you have to hold down a bunch of buttons simultaneously, and with each new button you add he gets closer to cutting off his finger. When he (I) did it, I definitely screamed. My dad came down to see what was wrong. Aside from the father you also play as a detective, and as a policeman. As such, you are gathering knowledge in several different ways simultaneously. It really is a thrilling game to play, and a well told story.
[Warning-this next part spoils the ending, read at your own risk]
My only complaint is that most of the game is spent setting up the father as the killer, with next to no indications as to who it actually is. I mean, I get that it's supposed to be a twist, but there are some gaping plotholes created by the father being set up totally as the killer. At least make it somewhat plausible.
No comments:
Post a Comment